Friday, December 21, 2012

21st Century Friendships

In this age we need to be careful not to let our valued relationships be as shallow as society has become. We need to consciously decide to give attention to the people in our lives rather than just "hanging out" while each person is busy on their phones or scratching the surface with baseless questions about current politics returned with polite and vague answers which are careful not to offend.

I know from experience that opening yourself up to people can be a painful experience because any day those people can walk out of your life or even worse betray you. I know the pain of opening yourself up and being hurt. But still, deep inside me I know that I cannot ever give up on relationships because of the bad experiences I have had. I know that my opening up to one person can be deliverance to them. Someone out there just needs to know that they are not the only ones experiencing some pains and disappointments in this world where social media paints a perfect picture of all lives. They are almost giving up because they are isolated; they have friends who seem so wonderfully perfect in all ways and never let out a hint of their challenges.

It is good for one to be positive at all times and to be discreet, but be discerning and learn to read people. Know when your friends are in pain and address it, know when they are just tired and be considerate, also know when they are deliberatelly shutting you out and back off.

No comments:

Post a Comment